When owning any type of firearms, keeping them secured is not an option. Owning a gun safe is a must, especially if there are children in the home. In fact, in many countries it is required by law to own a gun safe if you own any kind of firearms. Even if you’re not required to, it is still strongly advised that you get one as a safety precaution. If your debating on whether you should buy a brand new or used gun safe, it’s important to have an idea of what the pros and cons of buying either are.
- This one’s a given – it’s in mint and undamaged condition. There’s no need to worry about it having been tampered with in any way.
- Many new gun safes have more of the latest features when it comes to firearm safety and security than older ones.
- You can have it custom-made according to your needs and preferences.
- Reliability. You can be sure that it won’t need maintenance or be repaired for a while.
- Warranty. Most new gun safes come with a few years’ worth of warranty so you have more confidence in buying.
- It looks nicer. Even though functionality is the most important aspect of every gun safe, it would still be nice to have a functional one that also looks modern.
- Up-front cost. Buying a brand new safe could cost you more money than you expect, but investing in a good one with the latest features would benefit you in the long run.
- Insurance. The newer your gun safe, the more expensive insurance is going to be. Just like buying a new car, if you’re paying for your guns safe in installments, you might have to pay for premium insurance until your gun safe is paid in full.
- Customization. Even though this is also a pro for new gun safes, it could also be a con. Sometimes, it’s difficult to find a “perfect” gun safe. You might find one that has all the features you like, but it would also have features that you don’t. If you decide to compromise and get a gun safe like that, customizing it to remove the features you don’t like could be costly.
- It won’t stay new forever. In a few years, it’ll be just like the “used” one you were comparing it to.
- You could buy a late-model used gun safe that isn’t too far behind the newer ones available and save money. Also, there’s always a chance that you’d find a used one that’s already been checked and repaired by the previous owner.
- Warranty. Some used gun safes have unexpired warranty that could be transferred over to a new owner. Some sellers even offer to extend the warranty for a reasonable fee.
- You’re avoiding depreciation. Although this is mainly a concern with cars, it is something that you should also consider when buying a gun safe because the time could come when you won’t need it any longer.
- Cheaper insurance. Insurance for pre-owned items is usually cheaper than that for newer items.
- Reliability. Sometimes it’s better to buy a used gun safe because it’s already been “tested.” If it has worked for the previous owner, it should work for you too.
- No returns. If you buy a safe off Craigslist and later decide it’s not the best choice, you can’t return it. You may be able to resell it but it could be at a loss.
- It could have been tampered with. Check the gun safe thoroughly for anything that doesn’t seem right for your safety.
- Warranty. Depending on how old the gun safe is, its warranty could be expired. Buying a used gun safe without any kind of warranty is very risky.
- There’s always that “what if?” feeling about it. Ask the seller about anything you’re concerned about before buying.
Whether you buy a new or used gun safe is ultimately up to you. For most first time buyers, buying new is recommended until you completely understand what your needs may be.